1. Using the ADEA PASS Program Search Engine
, research programs you are interested in. Pay close attention to the supplemental information (i.e. CV, 2X2 photo) you will have to send directly to the programs that you apply to.
2. All re-applicants must create a new application and resubmit all new materials.
3. The ADEA PASS application fee is $190 for the first program and $71 for each additional program.
4. Make sure your Curriculum Vitae is up to date. The online ADEA PASS application collects information included on a CV/resume. In addition, many programs also request that a full version be sent to them directly.
5. The ETS Personal Potential Index (PPI) is a requirement for the ADEA PASS application. The PPI report is a composite report of three to five evaluations by individuals selected by the applicant. Evaluators give ratings on six non-cognitive dimensions of an applicant and are then asked to comment on their ratings. You can learn more about the PPI evaluation here
6. The Professional Evaluation Form (PEF), which is similar to a traditional Letter of Recommendation, is optional. PEFs are completed by evaluators that applicants designate in their application. We recommend utilizing PEF’s if you wish to highlight special or unique experiences such as a research project or leadership opportunity.
7. It is strongly recommended that applicants do not use the same evaluators to complete a PPI and a PEF, as doing so does not add value to your application.
8. Who should you ask to complete your evaluations? Here are some suggestions…
- Faculty members who know you well.
- Faculty members who have observed your clinical skills.
- Faculty members associated with the type of program you are applying to.
9. ADEA PASS and Match are separate and distinct services. The Match is used by applicants and programs to determine the final placement of applicants into positions after
the ADEA PASS application and evaluation process are complete. ADEA PASS is administered by the American Dental Education Association (ADEA), while Match
is administered by National Matching Services Inc. (NMS).
10. Applicants can customize their ADEA PASS application. For example, if you decide to apply to different specialties (i.e. GPR and ORTHO) and would like to customize your application, you can:
• Customize your Professional Evaluation Forms. Applicants designate which PEFs are sent to each program.
• Write separate essays at no additional fee. An essay can be assigned to a particular program. This allows applicants to write essays geared toward each specialty. Programs are only able to view the essays and PEF’s that have been assigned specifically to them.
The ADEA PASS customer service team is available Monday through Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET) to assist with your application process.